Get ready to ShakeOut! Sunnylands and participating organizations are helping to spread awareness about the science of earthquakes, earthquake safety, and preparation.
ShakeOut, a day of earthquake preparedness education, is held every year on the third Thursday in October.
All guests and staff will participate in an earthquake drill at 10:20 am. This drill will interrupt ALL Sunnylands activities for about 15 minutes.
Tables and activities include:
- Abraham Lincoln Elementary School students will be visiting other participants and play an earthquake preparedness scavenger hunt game around the Center & Gardens.
- Palm Desert High School medical students will practice triage procedures and talk to the public about their program.
- Students from the Rancho Mirage High School culinary program will present an emergency food plan they created, which includes a menu, shopping list, and storage safety for 10 days.
- The Coachella Valley Disaster Preparedness Network (CVDPN) will share free lifesaving disaster information for your family members and pets. CVDPN will provide resources in English and Spanish to ensure communities become cohesive and self-sufficient entities that are prepared to meet the challenges of major disasters, both natural and human-caused.
- Representatives from Animal Samaritans will explain how pet owners can prepare for an earthquake.
- The Rancho Mirage Emergency Preparedness Commission will share information regarding its emergency response program and will hand out Rocket Rules workbooks that highlight emergency and safety information to children from three to nine years of age.
- The Coachella Valley Water District will provide brochures on emergency preparedness and drinking water focusing on boil order notices.
- Earthquake preparedness information can be found on garden boards throughout the Sunnylands gardens.
For more information on earthquake safety, please click here.
Families are encouraged to participate. Programming is appropriate for homeschoolers. For more information, please contact the education department at 760.202.2264 or firstname.lastname@example.org.