Sunnylands allows Plein Air art during all open business hours without a reservation.
Permission to use Sunnylands Center & Gardens as a creative Plein Air venue indicates your agreement to the following guidelines. Failure to comply with these guidelines will result in loss of access to the Center & Gardens for this purpose.
• You are free to paint/sketch/photograph during Center & Gardens public hours Wednesday through Sunday, 8:30 am – 3:45 pm.
• All artists must check in at the Center & Gardens reception desk.
• Sunnylands does not provide any art supplies/materials.
• Artists must be able to transport supplies. You are prohibited from using Sunnylands carts under any circumstances.
• Artists using any paints or any other mediums that may discolor the ground must use drop cloths without exception.
• Water jars may be filled at the water fountain, and may not under any circumstances be disposed of in the Center or gardens.
• No art may be sold on the premises.
• No commercial photography allowed. Photographers please refer to our photo policy.
• Lockers are available for small items such as purses, but larger items such as bins or canvases may not be left unattended in the Center or at the front desk.
• Set-up on paths must allow for easy access for walking and assisted walking devices.
• Set-up in plant beds is prohibited.
• Camera tripods and any other art medium activity are not allowed inside the Center building, within 15 feet of the outdoor café area, in vehicle traffic pathways, or while sitting on the U.S.-China Friendship Bench. All other outside benches are available for use.
• You are welcome to enjoy the café, theater, and activities provided at the Center & Gardens, but leaving your site unattended is at your own risk.
• Due to the unique mission of Sunnylands, public access may be prohibited during high-level retreats.